uTorrent po cichu instaluje program do wydobywania kryptowaluty
Najpopularniejszy klient sieci torrent wraz z ostatnią aktualizacją instaluje bez zgody i powiadomienia użytkownika program Epic Scale służący do wydobywania krypto waluty.

Cytat:uTorrent Quietly Installs Cryptocurrency Miner, Users Complain

By Ernesto
on March 6, 2015
C: 72

News

Many users of the popular BitTorrent client uTorrent are complaining about it silently installing a cryptocurrency miner with a recent update. The Epic Scale tool, which slows down host computers, is reportedly being installed without consent and for some is particularly hard to remove.

utorrent-logo-newWith well over 150 million active users a month uTorrent is by far the most used BitTorrent client around.

The application brings in revenue through in-app advertising and also presents users with “offers” to try out third-party software when installed or updated.

These offers are usually not placed on users’ machines without consent, but this week many users began complaining about a “rogue” offer being silently installed.

The complaints mention the Epic Scale tool, a piece of software that generates revenue through cryptocurrency mining. To do so, it uses the host computer’s CPU cycles.

Epic Scale is flagged by many anti-virus vendors. However, it has been included with uTorrent for several weeks already, without any significant complaints. However, starting this week many users reported that the software was installed without any notification.

“This is pure bloatware, just updated my uTorrent. There was no notification about the software it just installed,” Aiziag complains.

“Got this installed quietly when upgraded U-Torrent. When I arrived home this evening my PC was running at full tilt and practically blowing steam. I felt like it was going to catch fire,” Daniel adds.

The issue was also brought up at the uTorrent forums, but the initial thread was deleted by a moderator. Meanwhile, many more complaints started pouring in, mostly on the freefixer website.

“Just updated uTorrent and it didn’t tell me anything about that total f*cked up ‘Epic Scale’ trash, which constantly keeps popping up with ‘Could not connect to server’,” Simon writes.

“Noticed the laptop was ‘laggy’ and then I saw the mysterious E in the taskbar. Blamed the kids again but then I saw the Utorrent update comments and bingo, me too,” Ian notes.

The sudden increase in complaints over the past two days suggests that something went wrong with the install and update process. Several users specifically say that they were vigilant, but instead of a popup asking for permission the Epic Scale offer was added silently.

“When I updated uTorrent today, an offer to install Baidu Av just popped up. I declined. I wasn’t told nothing about Epic Scale! I was alert, this software was simply installed quietly, without even a single checkbox. I wasn’t given a chance to decline,” Marcos writes.

The Epic Scale team says that it’s investigating the issue. Despite being grilled by an angry mob, they’re offering assistance and a $20 Amazon gift card to affected users who provide additional details.

“I recognize many of you are reporting a silent install. We are going to address this with all our distribution partners and determine what’s going on,” Epic Scale’s Alexander writes.

TF reached out to uTorrent’s parent company BitTorrent for further details but they have yet to reply. However, in a new forum post a customer support manager denies that there are any issues.

“We design our software to ensure that partner software downloads don’t occur without approval by the user. But given your report, we’ve also double-checked this particular offer, and have determined that it cannot be installed without user

Given the unusual surge of reports about silent installs, however, it might be that something went wrong, at least for some.

Update: The silent install appears to happen selectively, and not on all machines. TF had confirmation from various sides and with screenshots of every step of the install process where no Epic Scale screen appeared. In one case, the opt-out screen was eventually shown after several re-installs.

Update: BitTorrent Inc. informs TF that they are not aware of any problems.

“In terms of user complaints in our forums, we always take these claims seriously. We highly value our users, they are a passionate and tech savvy group. In the last 24 hours we have received less than a dozen inquiries out of several million offers.”

“We have reviewed the issue closely and can confirm there is no silent install happening. We are continuing to look at the issue. But this is most likely these users accepted the offer during install.”

Źródło

[Aby zobaczyć linki, zarejestruj się tutaj]

Więcej informacji na temat Epic Scale

Odpowiedz
A to ciekawe Smile

Bo wszelakie dalsze zmiany to "bloatware"

Ostatnia wersja, bez dziadostwa to 3.2.3 build 705 Smile i niższe OFC

P.S. Nie powiem że wyczułem to, ale spodziewałem "się coś w tym styl podobnego". Ileż można poprawiać co już prawie jest doskonałe? Tongue

I jestem przeciwnikiem instalowania nowych wersji bez weryfikacji.

W sumie jak na jeden dzień, to ciekawe ile "wykopali" ; jak już więcej nie wykopią Tongue prawdopodobnie
KIS/EIS/MKS, MBAM, HitmanPro, Eset Online, WF+uBlock
Odpowiedz
uTorrent 2.0 4Ever <3
Odpowiedz
Tak, to mnie ogólnie ostatnio zastanawaiło, co logi to uTorrent + Epic Scale

Przykłady z Forum na którym spawdzam logi:

Moderator i autoryzowany pomocnik w dziale Malware Fixitpc.pl
Odpowiedz
Nie korzystam z takich programów, bo nie bawię się w torrenty, ale takie programy wg mnie rodzą u użytkowników poczucie bycia bardziej "zaawansowanym" i chyba to poczucie mocno na wyrost. Firma zakpiła z ludzi i nie jest w tym odosobniona...
"Bezpieczeństwo jest podróżą, a nie celem samym w sobie - to nie jest problem, który można rozwiązać raz na zawsze"
"Zaufanie nie stanowi kontroli, a nadzieja nie jest strategią"
Odpowiedz
uTorrent skończył się na wersji 2.2.1, kolejne wydania to już porażka po całości - ta wersja wspierana jest na większości stron poświęconych torrentom.
Windows 10/11 Home x64 + Hard_Configurator + Windows Defender + router z firewall
Odpowiedz
Dokładnie 2.2.1 build 25130. Wszystko co po tym zawiera crap.
Odpowiedz
Buli napisał(a):Dokładnie 2.2.1 build 25130. Wszystko co po tym zawiera crap.
Czy ja wiem czy dokładnie, ja mam nowy build 25504 i też jest bez reklam itp. dodatków. Wszystko raczej rozchodzi się o 2.2.1 wydanie, później przeskoczyli do 3.0, a tam już były cyrki.
Windows 10/11 Home x64 + Hard_Configurator + Windows Defender + router z firewall
Odpowiedz
Ja pozostałem przy 1.8.5 nie wiem czy to dobry pomysł ale nie narzekam
Immunet - PC Tools  Firewall Plus
Odpowiedz
@slav

Też używam tej wersji na zmianę z 2.2.1

Hmmm.... Dziwna trochę sprawa, bo wszedłem na filehippo sprawdzić build, o którym pisze buri i jest tylko dostępna ostatnia(!). Filehippo prowadzi archiwa wszystkich wersji programów, które ma u siebie i jakoś dziwnym trafem archiwa utorrent "znikły" na poczet ostatniej wersji....
Odpowiedz
Potwierdzam dostępna jest tylko ostatnia wersja Sad
Windows 10 Home  64Bit | Firefox (uBlock) | Bitdefender

SYSTEM|PRZEGLĄDARKA|BEZPIECZEŃSTWO
Odpowiedz
A na oldapps?
Odpowiedz
Można jeszcze na paru innych stronach pobrać starsze wersje np:

Odpowiedz
zord napisał(a):Można jeszcze na paru innych stronach pobrać starsze wersje
utorrent 2.2.1 build 25302 oryginalne spolszczenie:

Też jechałem na tych starszych, warto jednak przestawić się na coś nowszego -qbittorent.
Warto bo program moim zdaniem dużo lepszy i bez śmieci.
Odpowiedz
A najlepiej to się przerzucić na Warezy Smile
Odpowiedz
Albo na kupowanie apek, muzyki, filmów, książek i gier Wink
Odpowiedz
Eugeniusz napisał(a):Albo na kupowanie apek, muzyki, filmów, książek i gier Wink

I tego powinni się trzymać wszyscy. Kupić i mieć.

Linuksy nie lepiej pobrać ze strony od dystrybutora ?
Odpowiedz
Ze strony oficjalnej pobieram ziarna torrentów, a kto jest seedem to nie wiem Smile
Odpowiedz
Eugeniusz napisał(a):Ze strony oficjalnej pobieram ziarna torrentów, a kto jest seedem to nie wiem Smile

Aha rozumiem w ten sposób. Smile
Odpowiedz
Nie żebym był aniołem, po prostu szanuję czyjąś pracę. Muzyczkę mam z Deezer, filmów nie oglądam, książki wypożyczam albo dostaję jako prezenty Wink
Odpowiedz

Skocz do:

Użytkownicy przeglądający ten wątek: 1 gości